Thursday, June 6, 2013

Willowbark wine


I clipped off some tender twigs *with bark* from a willow tree, about 10 or 15 pieces, about 8-12 inches long. Since the inner bark is used, don't dry the twigs first. Strip the vegetation and compost it (or whatever). Then, since I have fingernails (I realize not all of us do), I pinch the bark off the twig and strip it off. Some of the inner bark will be on the outer bark, and some will just be there on the twig. Since I used just tips of branches, I kept the twigs. I snipped them all small. (Some shot around the kitchen!) Some look like hair, some look like naked twigs. Then I put them in a warm oven, about 200 degrees for about 15 minutes. They got slightly crispy.

Then I divided them roughly in half, and stuffed them into some used-but-clean olive oil jars I had hoarded. The throat to the funnel is about medium, and allows the twigs in pretty easily. ... Unless there's a traffic jam, and then I push with a chopstick.
I fiddled around some to get the amount of wine "equal" and put the twigs and bark in there.
Then, because I'm doing a lot of things at one time, like you are, I labeled them right away. In a week I can easily have forgotten what the bottles contain. In a month, for sure!

The recipe I found (on www.survivalistboards.com) calls for

3 cups white wine -- the sweeter the better because willow can be quite bitter
3 T willow inner bark, dried and crushed
     Put the bark into the wine and macerate-shaking daily-for 1 month. Drink 2 tablespoons 3 times a day with food for headaches, migraines, stomachache or rheumatism attacks. or to take the ache out of a broken leg.


If you choose to try this, consult with your doctor first and don't use this instead of regular medicine. But yes, I'm going to try it. Like after a month.

Oh yeah, I get the really cheap Moscato. I don't spend big $ on this. It's against my grain.

I'm just trying this, and I don't necessarily know what I'm doing. I just like to try stuff.

No comments: