Thursday, April 26, 2018

Irresponsible genealogy?

So I was finally informed correctly: When the funeral home who took care of my uncle Nun's funeral went out of business, another business took over their records, but the second business doesn't have anything but his death certificate.

I'm disappointed, because I've seen worksheets that funeral homes have, and they include a lot of information. But maybe the current funeral home didn't want 40 years of paperwork that wasn't theirs. I can see that. Now I'm stuck with "Burial: Humphrey," which can be any one of at least four and at most ten cemeteries.

The next step is to attend the genealogy conference this weekend, and hope for ideas.

Another step is to go look at the cemetery and see if Nun is etched into a headstone OR SOMETHING. This poor recording of events has left me all ... well ... frustrated.

At some point, since all the Humphrey cemeteries also don't have him and the Postville cemetery has him HAPHAZARDLY recorded, then I may just presume him buried there with the fam. It's what should have happened. Maybe it DID happen.

But presuming is not the genealogy way. (Think of it like "The Code of The West.") Not the responsible genealogy way, anyway, LOL.

No comments: