Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A grumpy snapping turtle


The common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina) is a large freshwater turtle. Its natural range extends from southeastern Canada, southwest to the edge of the Rockies, as far east as Nova Scotia and Florida, and as far southwest as northeastern Mexico. This species and the larger alligator snapping turtle are the only two species in this family found in North America.

This gent or girl was about dinner-plate sized, and was in the driving lane on a two-way highway.  I stopped to move her to the side and she was decidedly ungrateful, and gave me this evil glare. I hope she continued her westward journey and stayed off the highway.

How old is a dinner-plate-sized snapper? I don't know. I've heard of *much* larger snappers. 

I am still impressed with her badger-like claws, and may I add that one of the first things I recognized about her was her long tail with about nine spikey things along the top ridge. Very dinosaur-ey. Naturally I did not get that photo. I was a little distracted with the 60 mph traffic, after all.


No comments: