Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Cuttings, gardening with cardboard, and perennials

This is the cottonwood I saved, kinda, after a bunny bit it off the main stem. It did not root, and did not root, and still put out five leaves. I put it in a jar and it didn't root. Then I put willow bits in the water. And well, you really can't see, but there is a 4-inch root in this water. I guess you'll have to trust me on that.

These are the onion rows in the garden. The cages are around 3 of the 11 tomatoes I planted today ... or yesterday ... yeah yesterday. the marigolds were planted today.
All of you "Black Stallion" fans will know what I mean if I call this the Rub al-Khali, the empty quarter. There are milkweed plants in there, but soon, very soon, there will be Indian corn. I received some as a gift, and you plant some kind of squash or melons under it. Last year our melons did well, so we're doing that again.
Yes, it's a tomato cage around a mullein plant. Mainly to keep my feet off of it. Several sprouted out there. Some I put in there. It will be an interesting garden.
This is the first time I have tried putting a significant amount of cardboard down, with mulch or grass clippings over it. Cardboard worked really well last year; I'm expanding the program this year.
The Korean lilac I got through trading on GardenWeb.com. That's a mulberry growing out of the top, and a chokecherry off to the right.
Golden Alexander. The roots are medicinal. Lovely.
Catnip left and chocolate mint, right.
Valerian.

No comments: