Sunday, July 8, 2012

Goldfinches!

The other day I saw Mrs. Goldfinch in the yard. She's kindof greenish.

The next day I saw her complete standout of a husband near the mulberry tree. (The mulberry that's not giving us mulberries this year *cough*)

I'm GLAD they are nesting here, and I don't know why this seems to be the first year they have found the yard a haven, but: I'm good with it!!!

Woohoo goldfinches!   Here is a picture from www.virginiabird.com. See how she looks a tad mossy? I was going to say moldy, but it's really mossy, ennit?


Well, now, I looked for info on what these folks like. Allaboutbirds.org says:

This: The goldfinch’s main natural habitats are weedy fields and floodplains, where plants such as thistles and asters are common. They’re also found in cultivated areas, roadsides, orchards, and backyards.

That field to our south is full of asters and thistles. And being farmland, we have cultivated areas and roadsides deluxe!

And I found this: To encourage goldfinches into your yard, plant native thistles and other composite plants, as well as native milkweed. Almost any kind of bird feeder may attract American Goldfinches, including hopper, platform, and hanging feeders, and these birds don’t mind feeders that sway in the wind.

Well I have milkweed like crazy. (Another blog post is needed for THAT.) Do they feed on it???  Do they use it for nesting??? Hmm. I don't do bird feeders, so that's not it.

A different place on the same website says: American Goldfinches breed later than most North American birds. They wait to nest until June or July when milkweed, thistle, and other plants have produced their fibrous seeds, which goldfinches incorporate into their nests and also feed their young.

There ya go.

No comments: