Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I'm going to start saving regular glass jars

Srsly, I don't know how it happened, but I have not saved a large glass jar in months.

Don't get me wrong: If it is a canning jar, it automatically gets saved. I love them for their versatility, ease of use, ease of cleaning, etc. And they have those classic rustic good looks.

But I will be melting beeswax in the jar, and it won't clean out easily, so I want a glass jar that I can just leave the wax in til the next time I need it.

I do save all kinds of small glass jars for tinctures: jelly jars, salsa jars and smaller. I put small amounts of herbs in them as well as other things. I don't like plastic much.

I am looking for a glass non-canning jar of a quart size, however, and so far I have failed. So many products come in plastic anymore, all of those go into recycling, and plastic can't take the heat I'm going to use with this heretofore un-found jar.

Well! I'll be paying a lot of attention to saving glass. I even have a plot where I will save future jars.